A move and relocation can bring about many changes and possible stresses for you and your child/children. JAARS and SIL have become increasingly aware of the needs of our children in preparing to relocate. This short series of sessions will assist you to help your child/children deal with their moves whether abroad or within their own country.
The TIP for Children Course is designed to replicate the lessons and activities during the childcare offered to families participating in ICC in-person. Whether your family is taking the virtual TIP this year or if you want to review what your children learned as a family in ICC, this virtual module is available to any who wishes to use it.
The TIP for Children Course is designed to be experienced as a family, with parents guiding their children through the stories, discussion questions, and activities. Now, more than ever, it’s important to be engaged with your children and show them your care and support in the wake of the upcoming transition.
The course is divided up into four sessions, each with a specific theme and objectives. These sessions are divided further into lessons. You can progress through the course at your own pace, but we recommend that you at least complete the individual lessons in a single sitting/day, rather than dividing the course up further.
The majority of lessons focus on a storybook, which you can listen to with read-aloud videos found on Youtube. If you have access to a copy, you’re also welcome to read the book as a family. All of the books used in these lessons are listed below. Questions before and after the story will help you engage your children with the themes and objectives of the session while creating opportunities for family conversations on the upcoming transition.
Finally, a follow-up activity brings each lesson to a fun, interactive conclusion. Most of these activities are craft-related, the more complex of which also have alternate, simpler versions. All materials for each activity are listed below, as well as on the main page for each individual session.
The last lesson in each session will focus on “Keep it REAL,” a song teaching kids how to leave well with a helpful acronym and fun, colorful animations. One word of the acronym will be discussed per session, with a review at the end of Session 4. Worksheets are provided to help children think of how they can use these methods of “Leaving Well.” We recommend that you discuss these worksheets with your children and help them to apply those ideas in the coming weeks/months. Like the storybook lessons, these lessons will also end in an interactive craft or activity.
After the final session, a review page will conclude the course with a brief recap of previously discussed “TCK Thoughts” and some additional resources for families. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Main Theme: Mobility
- Book: “Gila Monsters Meet You at the Airport” by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
- Activity: Gila Monster Craft
- Book: “Painted Words, Spoken Memories” by Aliki
- Activity: Five Senses of a Place Activity
- Keep it REAL: “Repair”
- Activity: Screwdriver Line Art
Main Theme: Transition
- Book: “Alexander, Who’s Not (Do you hear me? I mean it!) Going to Move” by Judith Viorst
- Activity: Moving Backpack Activity
- Book: “Dandelions” by Eve Bunting
- Activity: Dandelions Craft
- Book: “We are Best Friends” by Aliki
- TCK Thoughts: ADAPT Model
- Activity: Frog Activities
- Keep it REAL: “Explain”
- Activity: Light Bulb Line Art
Main Theme: Personal and Cultural Identity
- Book: “Stellaluna” by Janell Cannon
- TCK Thoughts: The word “Adapt”
- Post-Reading Activity: Bat Activities
- Book: “A Country Far Away” by Nigel Gray and Philippe Dupaquier
- Book: “Little Blue and Little Yellow” by Leo Lionni
- TCK Thoughts: Living in a Different Country
- TCK Thoughts: Stages of Cultural Stress
- Activity: Straw-Blown Art
- Keep it REAL: “Adios”
- Activity: Owl Miss You
Main Theme: Problem Solving Skills
- Book: “The Lotus Seed” by Sherry Garland
- TCK Thoughts: Stages of Transition
- Activity: Treasured Item
- Book: “Ira Says Goodbye” by Bernard Waber
- Activity: Friendship Pen
- Keep it REAL: “Look Ahead”
- Activity: Look Ahead Glasses
This final page contains concluding remarks, a list of the “TCK Thoughts” that have appeared throughout the course, some additional resources recommended for missionary families, and a separate printout list for easy reference. Other quality-of-life features may be added to this page in the future.