Recent Updates & Stories
JAARS Day is August 8!
We hope you'll come out to spend a day at our headquarters! Watch a video here about this family-friendly, informative day. Ride in a helicopter or a five-seat plane. See how people get Internet in the rainforest. Record your voice into the JESUS film. You’ll get an up-close look at Bible translation, and why it relies on practical support like boats, 4WDs, and software. Get details here.
- At a gathering of local ministers, arranged by the Thursday Island Mayor Napau Pedro Stephen, the team shared the vision of Islanders engaging with the Bible in their own languages. According to one senior pastor, the gathering "stirred up the ministry of the body of Christ like a breath of fresh air." Later, attendance at a language symposium organized by the Torres Strait Regional Authority and the Department of Education and hosted by the Gab Titui Cultural Centre afforded an opportunity for the AuSIL team to speak with Islanders gathered from all over the Torres Strait. Islanders shared their dreams and hopes for ongoing use of their languages.
- On a visit to the city library, the team provided a Yumplatok Bible, Islander praise song CDs, and a list of all materials available in Islander heart languages. The librarian, Mavis Bani, was very excited about having more materials available in Islander heart languages, especially the praise songs.
- A Christian book store is now stocked with a display copy of the Yumplatok Bible and several Yumplatok children’s books after a contact from the team. These materials can be ordered through the book store.
- An article in the Torres Strait News, a major source of news in all the islands, and an interview with one of our team members on a local radio station effectively described our mission of Scripture distribution and engagement to a wider audience.
- A meeting with John McSweeny, supervisor of Torres Strait Island schools, provided helpful information about the use of local languages on various islands and about Yumplatok’s use as a spoken language.