Water Safety Instructor
Do you enjoy sharing your love of boating and the skills required for safe operations? Do you have experience in training others? If so, JAARS Maritime Services needs you!
Be a part of providing this critical skill and equipment for Bible translators. We need water safety instructors for an ever growing demand for training to enable safe water travel both overseas and here on the JAARS campus in Waxhaw, NC.
Provide instruction in methods, risk factors, and equipment for safe staff travel.
- This is a full time (40 hrs.) (3–6 months /per year) position for a volunteer or a staff person who raises support
- Must be able to work in the US
Establish the level(s) of training needed, through successful people interactions to understand their water and boat skill levels
- Equip and instruct in which water safety gear to carry
- Instruct how to perform safe water operations in remote and difficult places
- Discuss the types of risk encountered, and methods for sound decisions on whether to travel or not, due to weather and other conditions
- Enable trainees to gain confidence, obtain skills successfully, and make right safety decisions
- Train both at JAARS and in locations overseas
- Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Education and Experience
Experience on various types of water, preferably engaged in swimming, free diving, SCUBA diving or lifesaving
- Operation of various types of boats, and/or other watersports activities may be considered
- Obtain or maintain certifications such as first aid, CPR; local, state, or federal boat operation courses
- Participated in college-level programs related to water/marine study, research, boat operations, or law enforcement, including environmental law desired
- Knowledge of what is required to equip persons and small boats for safe water travel
- Alternative to above, may be two years of experience teaching water safety