Do you enjoy working outdoors and seeing the fruit of your labor? Does hands-on work satisfy you? Do you have a knack for making plants and flowers flourish?
Become part of the JAARS team that makes Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth.
It takes many hands and a team effort to accomplish the task. Your skilled position will free others to use their skills to help further Bible translation, too.
Manage and maintain the greenhouse, grow and nurture quality flowers and plants.
- This is a 20 hour per week (depending on the season) position for a volunteer or career staff person who raises support
- Order seeds, root cuttings, soil in October/November
- Start early seeds by January 25
- Maintain constant awareness of greenhouse temperature, ventilation, heat, and water needs
- Apply pesticides, fungicides, and growth regulators as needed
- Transplant between February 10–March 15 (2–3 hours per day)
- Water plants correctly to ensure quality and profitability
- Establish greenhouse business hours and sell plants; sell early vegetable plants starting around March 15
- Start main plant sales around April 10, usually ending around Mother’s Day
- Water flower containers around campus and entrance to Townsend every day during growing season.
- Remove summer plants, replace with fall/winter plants when needed
- Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Education and Experience
- Knowledge and experience in seed germination, plant growth, temperature control, optimum watering practices, and chemical usage
- A degree in horticulture is a plus, but not required