Gift Shop Manager
Do you have a gift for retail? Do you love buying and selling unique merchandise, designing and arranging compelling ways to display beautiful items, and caring for people? Are you interested in a way to do all that AND impact the world for eternity?
If so, we’re looking for a special person to manage the gift shop here at JAARS – where our primary mission is to help make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth.
Our merchandise assortment ranges from handmade crafts, clothing and jewelry—much of it from overseas—to books, cards, videos and more. All are thoughtfully selected to provide guests and staff with mementos of the work here at JAARS and the mission of providing every person on earth with Scripture in the language they understand best—their heart language.
Responsible for managing the Townsend Gift Shop at JAARS, an initiative designed to provide guests with reminders of their visit and the mission of JAARS; to provide staff with unique and affordable gifts for friends, family, and supporters; and to provide funding for JAARS core mission operations in Waxhaw, NC.
- For a half-time (20 hrs.) volunteer or a staff person who raises support
- Able to work in the US
- Supervise daily operation of gift shop
- Determine and or approve merchandise for sale following JAARS branding guidelines
- Order merchandise, replenish inventories, and supervise/conduct annual inventory counts
- Formulate merchandise pricing based on target audiences and JAARS pricing model
- Monitor sales; resolve discrepancies, prepare, reconcile, and record cash receipts for deposit
- Verify invoices and billing, and resolve errors and discrepancies
- Supervise and train volunteer staff in operations and customer service.
- Plan and prepare staff work schedules
- Process web and mail orders
- Develop and manage annual goals and budget
- Develop appropriate internal and external promotion for unique merchandise
- Fill in for staff to cover breaks and shifts
- Ensure brochure rack is kept stocked with JAARS publications
- Explore and supervise retail sales growth via online sales
- Other duties as assigned dealing with staff and their partnership development
- This is a 20 hour a week position with some additional hours required at times.
- Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Education and Experience
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of or aptitude for cash management principles and/or procedures
- Retail experience desired
- Degree in business and/or management experience desired
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrable Christian faith and lifestyle
- Servant leader mindset – expertise/aptitude balanced with humility and influence
- Experience with and understanding of core mission-driven audiences – Christian individuals and organizations seeking to live out obedience to Christ’s work and calling on earth
- Hearty support for the vision and values JAARS is embracing for its future
- Self-discipline, courage, and creativity to apply limited human and financial resources by prayer to strategic challenges