Do you love using your hands and tools to repair vehicles? If you are gifted in working on vehicles, we need you to help maintain the JAARS operations and rental vehicles and, time permitting, help the missionaries with their vehicle needs.
Do you have a heart to support Bible Translation? In this position, you are helping JAARS make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth.
Come join our team to help support the work of Bible translation!
- For a full-time volunteer or a staff person who raises support
- Able to work in the US
- Examine vehicle and discuss nature or extent of malfunction with operator
- Plan work procedure, using technical manuals and experience
- Place vehicle on ramps or hydraulic lift to gain access to mechanical components
- Remove unit, such as engine, transmission, or differential, if complete dismantling is required
- Disassemble unit, using hand tools
- Examine parts for wear or defects, diagnosing whether reconditioning or replacement is necessary to ensure reliable, safe vehicle operation
- Reassemble unit to manufacturer’s specifications
- Repair or replace auxiliary units such as water pump, alternator, starter motor or compressor
- Adjust carburetor, brakes, lights, front-end alignment, etc., to specifications
- Rewire portions of electrical system where defects exist
- Maintain records of vehicle repairs, and plan periodic preventative maintenance such as oil and filter changes
- May repair damaged bodywork and respray area, depending on skills
Requirements and Experience Desired
- Must have experience as a mechanic and know the way around the shop, the tools to use, and how to carry out duties and work details
- Self-starter and highly motivated by the love for missions
- Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively